Let's read the Bible in a year. The start date for this is August 15, 2005. Post your thoughts on this blog or simply use it to check in.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

December Check-In (Shari Prest)

Hi Bible in 365 day friends!

I too am reading slowly and referencing along the way so I hope I can be a real 365 member!! I do however, read a portion every night. After my inability to understand the flow of the OT representation of God and the NT I called a pastor from our church [David Stark] that I believe to be very spirit filled. He talked about God's rational in creating us with free will to love Him or not. If one can't choose not to love, he/she can't really choose to love. The early OT is about consequences so that man can understand fully what our choices mean. I have the notes of the conversation here somewhere and I will share them in the future. I asked if David Stark would be willing to share more after the new year. I will set up a time for coffee and anyone is welcome to join us.

As I got into Deuteronomy I began to see more of the gentle and loving creator I have known through Moses' sermons beginning with, "Give freely and spontaneously. Don't have a stingy heart. The way you handle matters like this triggers God, your God's, blessing in everything you do, all your work and ventures...Always be generous, open purse and hands, give to your neighbors in trouble, your poor and hurting neighbors...[when you set your servants free] load them with provisions from all the blessings with which God, your God has blessed you..." -- Deut 15, The Message version. And Deut.
16 give as generously as God, your God has blessed you. Rejoice in the Presence of God, your God ..." Pursue only what's right!" or the call to put God ahead or cultural trends, "He [a king] must not become proud and arrogant, changing the commands at whim to suit himself or making up his own versions...." It goes on and on and steps beyond "laws" to compassion and justice and mercy. Then in Judges there is such love in the hearts of Deborah and Barak for God they sang out their joy, "Bless God!" In 1 Samuel Hannah prayed, "I'm bursting with God-news! I'm walking on air. I'm laughing at my rivals, I'm dancing my salvation..." What joy! She goes on to sing that "God brings death and God brings life... God brings poverty and God brings wealth, he lowers, he also lifts up." 1 Samuel 02 -- The Message version God is God and while I can't understand all of His ways as I keep "knocking". I continually come across those compelling nuggets of faith, joy, love, and divinity.

Have a happy, holy Christmas.
Shari

0 Responses:

Post a Comment

« Home